Monday, October 5, 2009
Thoughts on Life in Prison case
I am in the process of checking out the article that was left for us about life in prison for minors. As I looked through the article an interesting thought crossed my mind. If the teenagers in question are of sound mind and capable ability to committ such heinous acts such as one that is mentioned in the article shouldn't they be eligable to receive the utmost maximum sentence for their crimes. Many people will argue that juveniles are just young and foolish and will hopefuly learn from their mistakes, the question I pose is...... How many "mistakes" should we allow juveniles to make before they are held responsible for their actions. Though many people may consider it animalistic to incarcerate them at a young age I have to wonder if they have already made that leap based on their judgment or lack their of in cases such as this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One of the hardest questions for me to answer is what to do with juveniles. On the one hand you what to hold them accountable for their crimes and yet on the other hand you don't want to completly ruin a young person's life.
ReplyDeleteyour exactly right but just exactly how many chances can we give someone who doesn't want to make an honest effort to become a productive member of society?
ReplyDelete